The number of road accidents dropped slightly over the last year. What is disturbing is that the number of pedestrian deaths have increased and are more than 25% of deaths related to road.
- Approximately 1.35 million people die each year as a result of road traffic crashes.
- The2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development has set an ambitious target of halving the global number of deaths and injuries from road traffic crashes by 2020.
- Road traffic crashes cost most countries 3% of their gross domestic product.
- More than half of all road traffic deaths are among vulnerable road users: pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists.
- 93% of the world's fatalities on the roads occur in low- and middle-income countries, even though these countries have approximately 60% of the world's vehicles.
- Road traffic injuries are the leading cause of death for children and young adults aged 5-29 years.
Why so many deaths?
- People drive more
- People drive faster
- Drivers and pedestrians are distracted by electronic devices
- Urban mobility paradigm is changing: people walk more, older people spend more time outside
- Unsafe road infrastructure
- Bad illumination at night
SERNIS PEDESTRIAN FOCUSED SOLUTIONS
Mid-block crosswalk or crosswalks with pedestrian refuges locate between intersections.
The center islands are angled toward oncoming traffic to encourage walkers to stop and wait if needed.
SR-TICS - Thermal Intelligent Crossing System is a thermal technology-based system that detects pedestrians at crosswalks by real-time image processing, managing automatically the activation of a set of warnings through vertical signs and road studs to alert drivers in a safe and effective way.
LED signs can be seen up to 2Km away due to high luminous flux LEDs and are proven to reduce accidents and increase driver awareness in all weather conditions.
Road Studs are highly visible in-road lighting systems that provide superior distance visibility of crosswalks to drivers, allowing additional reaction time and decreasing nighttime accidents by over 70%.
SR-CITY-BALI Bollards increase the walkability of urban areas. They guide where people should walk, creating boundaries that cars can’t cross.
In addition to its elegant design, SR-CITY-BALI are made of durable and rigid (yet flexible) material ensuring long-lasting performance and minimal damage to those who clash against it.
Intelligent LED Street Luminaires increase pedestrian visibility.
Several studies have found that pedestrian deaths at nighttime are typically reduced by half by illumination. There is an increase in the number of pedestrians who decide to use the crosswalk when the light is active at the time of its passage.
SR-U2H7 is an innovative internally illuminated crosswalk overhead sign. To improve the visibility of pedestrians that are crossing, this sign has cold white LEDs that project laterally towards the pavement, enabling drivers to see pedestrians even before they begin to cross the road.